Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Child's Not So Divine Comedy


The First Circle Entrance: Under the Library      

My academic performance, far below robust, and
the headmaster showed signs of conjugal disgust.
Gazing down on me with one eye rucked, he spoke aloud,
“Education is of no help with this one. It’s certain his brain was left in a cloud.”
All students laughed and finished their writings.
Except I, just sat there and watched the school become empty.
As they skipped out of the brick building on the final bell of the final day,
I was forced far back in the library.
Hidden under a dismembered grandfather clock was a rusty metal door
that only the rotten knew was hidden in the floor.
With the headmaster’s beastly size it took only a single pry.
The clock slid aside and access was there, no choice, I could not deny.
I was cast down, not to return
until I finally had learned!
The heavy door slammed behind and black blinded my eyes.
With one careful step down I went on a dark descent.
Swallowing down fear like a man, keeping balance was the only plan.
Right hand dragging across the course wall,
as memory aided for the quick flash I saw
of the headmaster’s gigantic finger pointed downwards to a light switch so small.
Six blind steps passed yet no floor was below,
only horrid creeks and a damp draft came up so slow.
Alas, my hand found the jagged-edged light switch
with a deep penetration under my fingernail.
Warmth streamed off my finger and tears streamed off my lips.
Lightheaded, cold sweat, I knew not how to deal
and was unsure what could possibly be in store.
A relief came from a flash afar,
where there was faint light down the corridor.
The flash was hidden long and deep,
and my eyes adjusted to see the murky floor.
Unknown liquids were pushing up through the cracks like a swollen sore.
The walls without depth were meddled with mold,
and the air in my lungs almost caused me to fold.
Meters away as high as I could see
were stacked chairs, metal cabinets, and a single étagère.
The fluorescent light flickered a pattern far behind,
creating a dimness that was dreadful and sublime.
Solitude was gained from the ambiance,
and without mind I was in a deep, deep trance.
The beat of the light took control of my body,
bludgeoning and bludgeoning me into a ritualistic dance.
I looked in that direction to find the beam too bright,
and turned back to discover the ray dancing so free,
bouncing from dusty books, to antique cabinet just as happily.
 The light settled on a grand red chair
of velvet cloth with a shiny glean
that was certainly fit for a king,
ever so plush and just as fair
with the dark wood shining new and carved clean.
Inches away my eyes could see
an impressive engraving of mystical calligraphy.
I sat in the chair and halcyon I became,
then a smooth smell of garlic entangled the air.
Too overwhelmed I sat, for my eyes to see
the dim clove that floated in front so free.
The clove grew as wide as the dark corridor
and about as tall as that grimy wall.
The heat of garlic fell on me strong,
and my skin tingled, demonstrating that I did belong.
An old card catalog came into view
and my curiosity started to stew.
I left my seat stepping fast
but too much time had already passed.
Pulling a card I saw the letters and was ready to read
but my brain went to a different land,
and my eyes couldn’t understand.
One card wiggled and shined
and suddenly I was no longer blind.
I grabbed it and was able to read,
“Harum-Scarum.”
The chilling words filled me with dread,
burning my fingers I dropped it and fled.
My loneliness grew and my brain began to loop.
Oh, how homesick my heart grew and so great the pain;
I was forced to stoop until my knees scraped the floor,
oh, how I wished to be at the front school door.
Learning I was and would have no more!
so I backed up, step-by-step, ever careful not to slip.
Then I heard such a ghastly blip,
and existing nearby was Remorse,
but I was the dominant and stayed my course. 
I reached the chair and was invited in,
when garlic appeared, I was smart again.

No comments:

Post a Comment